Wednesday, January 24, 2007

The Treasures of the Snow



I picked up a book from one of my favorite sites, Bookcloseouts.com, last year called "Mrs. Sharp's Traditions" by Sarah Ban Breathnach. It is filled with old fashioned pictures and celebrations of times gone by. In the chapter on the month of January, Mrs Sharp tells how to make snow ice cream. It sounded like fun and since we currently have a little spare snow in the backyard, we gave it a whirl.

It has more of a sherbet taste to it, not the rich Breyers ice cream flavor. We took some of the vanilla and added chocolate syrup for a more distinct taste. Either way, the kids thought it was great!

Snow ice cream:

1 cup milk
1 teaspoon or more vanilla
one-half cup sugar (we used powdered sugar)

Beat well until frothy. Place mixture in a large bowl and add enough clean, fresh snow until the liquid is completely absorbed by the snow.


Let me know if you need any snow for this recipe. I'm sure I could find some to send you.

No comments: