Brian and I went recently to the vender hall at the state homeschool conference and enjoyed looking through the many books and products designed to turn our children into geniuses.
I use the time at the vender hall to look at books and textbooks I have been interested in and write the information down for later. But I always find some "extra" books that seem to make their way home with me each year. Pictured above are most of the newest additions to our library. I bought "Little Men" for Hannah, since Abby would be horrified to read another book in which Mr. Bhaer is featured.
I have been impressed with the "Exploring Creation" science series (Swimming Creatures of the Fifth Day, above) and used it last year for Jacob (Flying Creatures of the Fifth Day) and with Hannah (Biology).
I stopped by the "Miller Pads and Paper" booth and picked up four blank books for the kiddos to make their own stories in. Hope immediately got to work on her story and it sure is interesting! She was thrilled to have a book she could WRITE in. Hannah wrote many stories in those blank books when she was younger.
While Brian was talking to one of the vendors, I chatted with his wife about general homeschooling. She mentioned that one of her sons had struggles in reading and what helped him was listening to the Bible on tape while following along in his Bible. I think I will give that a try with Abby, either with her large print Bible or with another book on tape. One of the best parts of the conference is getting advice from veteran homeschooling parents!
Over the next few weeks, I will go through the curriculum catalogs and chart out our school plans for the first five months (August through December). In December I will re-evaluate where we are and pick up any other books we need for the rest of the school year.
The kiddos are excited about looking through the new books. Jacob likes his new school book but wants to finish it quickly because the next science book I'll buy for him in the series is about Space...
No comments:
Post a Comment