While picking out books on Latin at the library, I came across "Latin for all Occasions". I offer this example for your reading enjoyment and intellectual stimulation:
Salve, o alienigena! Est mihi nomen Midas. Rex sum Phrygiae, terrae clarae quae in Asia Minore est. Propter casum infelicem, omnia quae tango mutantur in aurum. Cuius multa milia librarum mihi sunt hoc autem quasi vexatium onus deponere pervolo! Ergo transmitte mihi, sis, numerum rationis tuae in argentaria taberna, et numberos chartularum fidei tuarum, et numerum chartulae largitionis senioribus publicae, et monem avi tui materni. Numeris receptis, ilico tibi remittam navem onustam lateribus aureis. Mihi gratum facies manus meas exonerans his rebus! Tibi multas gratias ago!
Translation:
Greetings foreign person! My name is Midas, and I am King of Phrygia. Owing to an unfortunate accident, everything I touch turns to gold. I have tons and tons of the stuff- I'm dying to get rid of the darn stuff! Please send me your bank account number, your credit card information, your social security number, and your mother's maiden name, and I will immediately dispatch to you a boatload of gold bricks. You'll be doing me a big favor by taking it off my hands! I am much thanking you!
And we feared Latin might be dull and outdated.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I will have to share that with my daughter who is working on her second year Latin. Could something have been "lost in translation"? hahaha
Post a Comment