Sunday, November 11, 2007

Getting Ready for Thanksgiving


Since this is our year to host Thanksgiving for our "holiday family"(two other families that we have been getting together with for the past ten years or so for Easter and Thanksgiving), we are making sure we have everything in order. Since none of us are too crazy about cranberry sauce (but a few of our guests are), we found this at Williams Sonoma. It looks like it will be good- we may even try it! Brian also bought a new meat thermometer since ours died last year.


We are making "turkey" decorations for the place card holders. We need to locate nuts for the head, though. I went to two craft stores looking for acorns or chestnuts but they didn't have any. Ebay offers acorns in one pound increments, a bit much for what I need. Anyone out there have any nuts like acorns in their natural state??


I'm going through our serving pieces and place settings to make sure it's all clean and ready to go.


A trial run last night to measure the length of the table cloth before I sew the edges and to make sure we like the way things will look. I found the burgundy fabric (4 yards for this long table) for $2.24 a yard at the craft store.


Thanksgiving Checklist:

24 pound free-range turkey, on order at the health food store

Cranberry sauce (see above)

Stuffing- need to do a trial run on the new recipe

Mashed Potatoes and gravy
Mashed Sweet Potatoes

Coffee

Possibly make sugar cookies for the kids to decorate

For table: roasted almonds, nuts, chocolate candies


Guests to bring:
salad
rolls
vegetable dish
relish tray
pies

No comments: