Years ago, I picked up this book in hopes of finding a good way to teach the history of how the Bible came to be to my children. I was also hoping to educate myself on this topic. However, while this book did discuss the writers of the books and some information on the life and times of Biblical writers, it never did clearly answer my questions. Hannah also said she didn't find this book helpful.
I read this book last night and was so excited to read a concise, clear and logical progression of how the books in the Bible were chosen and why (depending on one's religious tradition- Catholic, Protestant, etc.). The author is careful not to include a sectarian or theological slant, so it is appropriate for all people interested in Bible history.It also includes a chapter about Bible translations throughout the years. This book came from papers found after the death of Charles Merrill Smith, who was writing to answer questions from his teenage granddaughter.
The only place I felt the book was weak was on the last page, when the author was explaining how modern Bible translations seek to help readers today to understand the author's original intent. I felt the wording was poorly chosen even though the point was a good one.
I look forward to sharing this book with my kiddos this week. This may be a book to buy for our library since it it so very well written.
No comments:
Post a Comment