
Because they had so much to write about.
Those people in the cities, they had interesting things to write about, too.
But when you live out in the country, every day is an adventure.
Since we have moved out here nine years ago, we have been snowed in for days at a time, taken one trip in an ambulance, had run-ins with elk, lots of rattlesnakes (not as many these days), tornadoes, flash floods in the nearby canyon, fires, hail storms of Biblical proportions, rodents of unusual size...
And we don't even own livestock, grow wheat or live near hostile Indian tribes like in days of yore.
Today Jacob and I were just hanging out waiting for Brian and the girls to get back from Lowes so he could finish another home maintenance project and we smelled smoke. Our neighbors' stacked hay bales were on fire from a lightening strike. Thankfully the fire department came quickly, but the rain wasn't enough to put it all out I guess because another fire truck carrying water just drove down our road.
When we lived in town, sometimes I took a nap in the afternoon. Now afternoon is when all the action starts.
When I read the "Little House" series these days vs. those quiet days living in suburbia, I find myself relating more and more - and looking for helpful hints on survival from the seasoned pioneers!
No comments:
Post a Comment