Thursday, July 22, 2010

For Jon

Jon wanted some ideas for good stories that have nice pictures as well. Here are a few ideas from the library on the windswept plains.

Lots of classic books have nice pictures.


Books by Robert McCloskey are always good.


These are fun read-alouds for the younger years. You will want to read them ahead of time and do a bit of verbal editing since they are a bit racist in parts.




Anything by Tasha Tudor will guarantee you a visual masterpiece.



And a sweet, gentle story from another time.


Fun books for dog lovers. Angus' curiosity always gets him in trouble.


More classics. Mike Milligan is a must for boys.

Francis is always a hoot.



These simplified "Little House" stories have lovely pictures.




There- does that get you started? :)

5 comments:

Julie said...

Wow. What a wonderful collection. The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats was one of our very favorite. And I can read the Little House books over and over.

Jennifer said...

Julie, Do you have any favorite titles from your family that Jon might like for his boys? (or that we might like?)

Bob Parks said...

Judy loves Corduroy. We almost bought another copy this year.

Julie said...

Apart from your great list, my boys liked the Frog and Toad books by Arnold Lobel, also Maurice Sendak, and Roald Dahl. Robert LOVED Peter Rabbit. We had to read it several times every night (and Squirrel Nutkin, also by Beatrix Potter). The words are strange and a bit nonsensical, but that made it fun. Another is "Alexander and the Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day" by Judith Viorst. Thanks for asking. I enjoyed remembering these favorites. A newer illustrator I love is Tim Ladwig. He illustrated two books about the Lord's Prayer, and the 23rd Psalm. I love them both.

Jon said...

Thanks for all these suggestions, Jen - and photos to boot! I hope to build a good collection for the boys. Between gifts from you and Dad (the fairy tale books, Frog and Toad, and others), we've been given a good start. They have a lot of Beatrix Potter books at the library, so I picked up two of them. I think that I'll buy Peter Rabbit - the illustrations are quite nice. The artwork from many of the books I read as a child have stayed with me over the years. That's why it's important to me to find books that not only have worthwhile stories, but engaging visuals as well.