Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Happy St. Patrick's Day

When I was in third/fourth grade (can't remember which) I didn't have many clothes. In fact, I think I had less than one outfit per school day for the week, and I only had one item with green in it. So it was a huge deal when St. Patrick's Day came and I had *nothing* to wear to save me from getting pinched- and boy, did the kids pinch you at our school.

Anyway, I couldn't go to school without wearing something green and I remember quite a bit of drama on my part (and a lot of disgust on my mother's part). Seeing the domestic trouble mounting, my Dad jumped in the car and raced to the nearby gas station (if I remember right) and bought this pin for me to wear. He made it back just in time for me to get to school- and I was spared a day of pinching and humiliation.

I have worn this pin most St. Patrick's Days since that time and I am grateful that I had a father who cared about my feelings and understood how inportant some things are when you are little.

So, Thanks, Dad. And Happy St. Patrick's Day.

1 comment:

Bob Parks said...

You are welcome, Jen. I thought I recognized that pin! Love you.