Monday, March 12, 2012

Hope's New Bed

I found this antique bed through Craigslist last month. It is perfect for Hope's bedroom update (since she is a young lady now and not a little girl. The kitchen set has been moved out - sigh- and a double bed and armoire- also from Craigslist- are moving in).

Since the bed is old, it has an "old" smell to it, so Brian wiped the frame down with mineral spirits to see if we could help it smell better. It's not terribly stinky, but when it is in her room, we would probably notice it.

The mineral spirits did take off some of the oil finish. If we can de-stink the bed, we will refinish it. If not, we will need to paint it to seal in all the "old" stuff. I think the bed will look nice with off-white paint, although I would miss the nice stained finish, too.

4 comments:

Bob Parks said...

Nice find! Hope you can keep the original look. It's classic!

Christy Parks said...

Hey Jen! If you still have the ENJO bathroom sample fibre kicking around, you should wipe down the bed with that. The fibre will actually pull out some if not most of the smell- it might make a big difference at no cost and with no chemical :) Give it a try and let me know how it works!

Jennifer said...

Christy,

Do you mean the glove that I wash my face with? Wouldn't I get splinters in the glove and then bleed in the shower????

And would I use just water or should I use a little soap with it?

Most of the smell is coming from the unfinished wood on the back side of the bed, not the rest of the bed that had been rubbed down with a wax finish. That's where all those splinters will come from :).

Christy Parks said...

I thought I sent you a bathroom sample (white square) a long time ago (like, a year and a half ago). You only need a little bit of water and lightly wipe the wood wherever you want to clean it (to remove the smell). Should work well :)