Sunday, August 26, 2007

What's on your Shirt?

Earlier this summer, I wrote a letter to Lands' End customer service about my concern over their increasing number of their men's and women's clothing being made with treated fabrics. Before this, I had talked with a customer service representative, asking what chemicals were used to make their fabrics wrinkle resistant and she replied that she had no idea- and that she did not think that question had ever been asked of their office before.

When Brian and I were at Nordstroms last summer looking for men's dress shirts, the nice gentleman helping us informed us that ALL Norstroms dress shirts from that point on would be sold with a chemical finish (wrinkle/stain resistant) and not to worry- it was a "non-toxic resin" that was on the shirts.

Almost all the dress shirts sold at Eddie Bauer and a large percentage of LL Bean's men's clothing is treated. Most of the men's clothing we checked at the mall was also treated.

While those helpful customer service workers and store attendants do not know what their products contain, a quick Google search will tell you that the chemical that is used to make things stain or wrinkle resistant is TEFLON- not some "harmless resin". TEFLON has a history of documented health problems and lawsuits resulting from those issues. Many people have stopped using Teflon coated pans due to concerns over these health risks. Those risks include birth defects and reproductive problems (some articles I read raised concerns over thyroid hormone regulation, damage to the immune system and certain cancers). Teflon has been identified as "likely" to be carcinogenic to humans and is known to cause flu-like symptoms when heated past a certain temperature. It is also suspected to be an "immune system sensitizer" - exposure to the fumes can put you at risk for developing allergies and/or asthma. Now, I realize that shirts and pants are usually cool when they are worn. But what about when you put them in the dryer? What about small children or pets in the home breathing those heated chemicals while the clothes are being dried? Babies carried close to the shoulder who drool/suck on your shirt? Small children are especially vulnerable to chemicals such as Teflon due to their size and developing immune systems.

Considering that the long term effects of Teflon are not clear and in light of the fact that there are many indicators that it is not a benign chemical, why are companies so whole-heartedly treating their products with this?

As a mother of a child with a compromised immune system, it is my responsibility to keep her environment as "clean" as possible. While I know there is no way to avoid everything "bad" out there, I can control some things. For my family, I choose not to use products coated with Teflon (and that includes more than just clothing). When so many companies like Lands' End treat so much of their clothing (especially in their men's clothing), it is becoming harder for me to find "safe" clothing for my husband. I just hope more people will vote with their dollars (or letters and phone calls) and let these companies know that while the convenience of stain and wrinkle resistance is nice, good health for our children (and all of us!) is even better.

P.S.- A customer service representative did call me after she received my letter and let me know that she would be passing it on to those higher up. I am looking forward to seeing if they will respond to my concerns. I merely asked them to continue offering their customers a choice on whether to buy treated or untreated clothing.

No comments: