Thursday, December 13, 2007

Around the house...

The local sheriff deputy came over two days ago to fill out a stolen credit card report. Brian had all the paperwork ready, so he didn't have to stay more than twenty minutes or so. We have filled out the paperwork with the bank and the credit reporting companies, so most of that work is done. The only outstanding question I have is whether the thief's application for a car went through. My credit report shows someone has at least tried to purchase a used car at the "no-credit, bad-credit, no problem" lot in a shady area of town.

In happier news, almost all the presents are wrapped and under the tree. I had a strict budget amount for gifts this year and I'm glad that I was able to find the items I needed most within that budget. Only two items need to be purchased and one is a request from Hope- "A box of money". Well, I would like a box of money, too, but she is wanting some play money for playing "store". I was hoping to find a cash register, too, but everything was $30 and above. Pottery Barn Kids has a nice one for $50! Yikes.


I finished reading "A Life That Says Welcome" this morning. It is a light, encouraging book that I really enjoyed. The author also included some of her favorite recipes from her B&B owning sister in law, so those might be worth a try. Crock pot ham with mustard sauce, Corn Chowder and Mexican Chicken Lasagna look yummy. Here is one recipe that sounds great (and calorie rich!):

Santa Fe Strata: A hearty, no-fail breakfast idea

1 pound ground sausage
1 6 ounce can tomatoes and chilies with juices
9 large eggs
3/4 cup flour (I'll try it with gluten free flour mix)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon chopped fresh garlic or 1/2 teaspoon dried minced garlic
2 cups frozen corn, thawed
12 ounces sour cream
12 ounces cottage cheese
1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cups Roman cheese

In a skillet, brown sausage. Drain. Stir in tomatoes and chilies. Set aside. Beat eggs and add flour, baking powder, salt, garlic, corn, sour cream and cottage cheese. Mix well. Add rest of cheeses. Stir in sausage mixture. Pour into greased 9 by 13 pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 60-75 minutes until puffed and golden.


Jacob and Hope were sick last week and spent the time on the couch playing games and reading books. Even though they weren't feeling well, I don't think they minded being ill.

Jacob requested that I share a picture of one of his many creations that wind all over our floors. By knocking down the rectangular blocks, the whole thing collapses a la dominoes.


We previewed an algebra course on dvd, but Hannah isn't so sure it's the one for her. I'll have to call the other company, "Math-U-See" and look into what they offer again. Hannah is now typing in all her course work for the past semester to print out and send in to her high school program. I also need to fill out her transcript information, which is intimidating for me. I'm pretty sure I can say that record keeping is my least favorite part of homeschooling. I think finding a good Algebra program comes in a close second.


We made these wonderful Chocolate-Mint Wafer cookies from the Martha Stewart website this weekend. They taste like the Girl Scout cookies "thin mints", only without all the mystery ingredients. I can't post a picture because we ate (o.k. -I ate) them so quickly, but let me say that though they are a little more work than regular cookies, they are SO worth it!

1 cup all purpose flour (we used gluten free flour mix)
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
12 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped (we used chocolate chips. Next time we want to try milk chocolate chips)
1/4 teaspoon pure peppermint extract (I started with 1/8 teaspoon and tasted the chocolate first to see if I needed more. I ended up adding a few drops in addition to the 1/8 teaspoon, but probably didn't add the full 1/4 teaspoon)
sprinkles or crushed peppermints, for decoration

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Set aside.

Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. With mixer on low, gradually add flour mixture, mix until combined.

Form balls of dough (each equal to t teaspoon) and place on cookie sheets, about 2 inches apart. Take the bottom of a glass and flatten the balls into 1 1/2 inch rounds (about 1/4 inch thick). Since the dough will probably stick to the glass, put some waxed paper between the dough and the glass. We did this and it worked very well.

Bake until slightly firm to the touch, 8 to 10 minutes. Immediately transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.

Make chocolate coating: Place chocolate, peppermint extract and remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt in a large heatproof bowl set over (not in) a saucepan of simmering water. Heat, stirring occasionally, until smooth, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat.

Dip each chocolate wafer cookie in the melted chocolate, coating each piece. Then dip half of the cookie in sprinkles or crushed peppermints and set on a clean plate. Chill in the until chocolate has hardened (in refrigerator or outside if it's cold). Keep chilled until ready to serve.



No comments: