Thursday, August 7, 2008

School Days

We started school this week even though not all of our curriculum has arrived yet (we are hoping it will come by tomorrow- the company we order from ships its packages by turtle express).

We are enjoying the book "The World in Ancient Times- The Ancient Roman World". It's a very well written history book for elementary/middle school (depending on the child). We are reading it as a group each morning before our other history books come, although we may continue with this series for awhile.

We are also reading "A Day No Pigs Would Die" by Robert Newton Peck. So far it has been good (although needing an edit of a few swear words). Since I haven't read it before, I skimmed over the last few chapters and found them to be on the intense side. I'm not sure how I want to handle those chapters- they deal with death and of course that is a part of life, but this book is pretty blunt in an old-fashioned farmer type way that we are not used to. I need to think about how we'll finish this book. I already know of one chapter we'll be skipping...

We are continuing our math program from last year and it is still going well (Math-U-See).

Looking forward to watching the Olympic Games starting tomorrow...

No comments: