I wish I could say that these two piles were all we threw away, but there was more that didn't get captured in a photo.
The stuff that made the first cut is in the garage, waiting for a second look before going back down into the basement in new plastic containers.
Sorting through boxes in the snow! Nothing like an impending snowstorm to put a damper on any sentimental feelings towards the basement contents!
While most of my baby dolls had to be tossed, my troll collection appears to have survived the years intact.
I was amazed at all the things I came across. I made this mushroom looking thing as a child and my mother saved it. I also found my favorite pillowcase I used around the age of ten and thought- "Wow! I had forgotten about that!" Quickly followed by the thought "No one should have their old pillowcases, *every * single* toy, *bedding item* piece of paper they colored on* books *school notes * and more that *they* ever *had * languishing in their basement!!"
I found a book called "All About Me" that I had filled out. I realized that I was a terrible speller. I don't even know what I thought my favorite food was. Tumado soop doesn't even sound good. And I do like carets now. I eat them regularly.
Dad admitted this week that he and Mom were both packrats, coming from a long line of packrats. My children get upset when I throw anything away, but as I told them this week, "I am giving you a gift- the gift of knowing how to throw things away when they are no longer useful."
I cannot express how freeing it is to throw this stuff away. I wish I could've done it under happier circumstances, but it was past time. I was waiting until Jon could go through these things with me and I have saved a few things he would want (along with "family heirloom" items).
I think I will throw away a lot more in the weeks to come.
Freedom!
I cannot express how freeing it is to throw this stuff away. I wish I could've done it under happier circumstances, but it was past time. I was waiting until Jon could go through these things with me and I have saved a few things he would want (along with "family heirloom" items).
I think I will throw away a lot more in the weeks to come.
Freedom!
2 comments:
I remember the trolls! How is Hannah's hearing now? God bless.
Hey Dan!
Hannah's hearing has not changed this past week- meaning that she can only hear a little out of the ear that was infected. If someone is standing right next to her, she can hear them but she can't hear what is going on in the next room. She is having a hard time telling what direction sounds are coming from since she no longer hears in "stereo".
We continue to pray that her hearing will improve. Thanks for asking.
Post a Comment