We began removing boxes from the basement today. We had to take them out through the windows since to bring them through the house would allow the dust and other nasties to come into the main part of the house.
One box was still wet from the summer damage that came when we were on vacation in July. One box was stuck to the floor with mold.
We have about half of all the stuff out on the lawn now- I can only imagine what our neighbors are thinking.
I can't believe how much stuff we have down there. My mom saved (seems like) everything and she wasn't even from the Depression Era. Brian's folks have passed down things to us and of course we have all those baby and toddler toys too.
I bought a new vacuum online last night after doing some research. We need one with a HEPA filter so we can clean up any contaminated dust on our furniture and floors. I have been dreaming of a Dyson for a long time. My children even know how I long for one of those...and I didn't end up buying one! The Kenmore 35923 was rated by Consumer Reports to be very good - even better than Dyson at half the cost (or less- Sears was having a big sale). Christmas is coming early for me! Our current vacuum is a sorry excuse for a cleaning machine, so I can't tell you how exciting it will be to vacuum and have the floors/rugs look clean after running it. Up until now we didn't feel that a new vacuum was a priority since all our floors are hardwood and I always sweep the rugs with a broom or take them outside to shake. I think I'll do nothing else but vacuum for an entire week once it comes!
We are all tired after working in the basement this afternoon. I have been reading my books from the library on mold and sick building syndrome. When I can post pictures again, I'll share some of this adventure...
Saturday, November 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment