Friday, August 13, 2010

Interview with Dan Parks

Daniel John Parks was born in Seattle, Washington on April 3, 1973 to Terry and Karen Parks. He has an older sister, Debra, and two younger siblings, Darrel and Denise. He is also very involved in the care of his nephew, Steven. Here is Dan's interview, in his own words:

What is your earliest memory? I seem to recall being in my stroller and being pushed underneath an overpass near where we lived in Seattle. I also remember that my motorized ride-on car was taken when I was very little. I think because I left it outside. I remember looking through the fence at the neighbor kids and thinking that one of them may have taken it.

Do you remember your grandparents? Any special memories of them? I remember three of my grandparents, and the other one, my maternal grandmother, is still living. I remember that we used to play UNO with my maternal grandparents and watch Woody Woodpecker cartoons (something we didn't have at our house), and that Grandma Parks would serve us Spaghettios.

Do you have any special childhood memories? Playing with my friends near Chimacum, Washington when I was in elementary school.


What was your favorite Christmas gift? One of my favorites was a Six Million Dollar Man action figure when I was very young.
Least favorite gift? One of my least favorites was a toy truck that my brother got for me when I was quite young that I told him I didn't like (he took it back I think).

Favorite food as a child? Spaghetti.

Did you like school? I liked some things about school.
Favorite subject? My favorite subject was probably band or choir. There weren't any subjects I didn't like.
Were you a good student? I was a very good student in elementary school but in junior high and the first two years of high school I almost never did my homework. I still scored well on tests though. I took community college courses during my senior year so that I could catch up and graduate with my class.

What did you do after high school? Went to school at Biola University majoring in radio/tv/film. I started having mental health problems just before my junior year that interfered with my schooling and I left partway through that year. I finished college at the University of Montana in 2000 majoring in radio/tv production.


What hobbies do you currently have? Being a family video documentarian and family website manager. I'd also like to record music that I've written but right now our living environment isn't st up very well for doing that.

Other than the Bible, what is your favorite book? Growing up I liked the White Mountains series by John Christopher and also Three Investigators books. I still read a lot (on the web) but don't read books these days.

Where do you currently live? Houston, Texas.
Do you like it there? It's too hot.

Finish this sentence: "People say my best characteristic is..." Sense of humor maybe?

"I wish I could change about myself..." I wish I had normal brain chemistry and didn't have to take medications, mostly because it makes me gain weight easily.

What is something people might not know about you? I held my high school record in the triple jump for awhile.

Do you have any special talents? I do impressions. Google "Kermit impression" and click the first result video (by TalentAnonymous).

What do you like to do after a long day? Veg on the couch with the A/C on.


Are you an introvert or an extrovert? I think I'm some of both. I enjoy social interactions and was very talkative growing up, but I'm also content to work on projects by myself and just think.

What is your favorite Bible verse? One of my favorite passages is Colossians 1:19-20: For God was pleased to have all His fullness dwell in Him, and through Him to reconcile to Himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through His blood, shed on the cross.

Is there something specific you want to do or accomplish before you die? Find a cure for cancer (no, really).

What is a word of advice you would give to someone younger than you? Listen to your parents.

Thanks, Dan, for sharing a bit of yourself so we can get to know you better. Everyone in the Parks family is grateful to you for creating and maintaining our family website and for all the videos you have put together over the years. We are so glad that you are a Parks and appreciate the unique qualities that you bring to our family!

No comments: