Sunday, January 29, 2012

Paper Flowers and One Thing Crossed Off My Bucket List


Top photo: Mom, center, in Kentucky cemetery on Decoration Day.
Bottom photo: Relatives on Decoration Day with better view of the paper flowers.


Growing up, I was always puzzled why my mother had so many photos of herself and others taken at the cemetery with people smiling. Obviously this was not a funeral, so why were they there? She told me that this was "Decoration Day", something not observed in California, when people made paper flowers to decorate the graves of their departed loved ones. I was fascinated by this and thought that one day, I'd like to make paper flowers, too (but I'll skip the grave decorating part).


Earlier this month while looking for crafting tools for Hannah, I came across this paper flowers kit. I made up two bouquets of flowers and now I can say I have made this craft from the past!

1 comment:

Julie said...

The flowers are beautiful. They look so real. I love seeing the picture of your mom so young.