When the Christmas decorations are put up, I'm the hero.

When the day comes to take the decorations down, I'm the villain.

Wikipedia defines "villain" thusly:
A villain (also known in film and literature as the "bad guy", "black hat", or "heavy") is an "evil" character in a story, whether a historical narrative or, especially, a work of fiction. The villain usually is the antagonist, the character who tends to have a negative effect on other characters. A female villain is sometimes called a villainess (often to differentiate her from a male villain). Random House Unabridged Dictionary defines villain as "a cruelly malicious person who is involved in or devoted to wickedness or crime; scoundrel; or a character in a play, novel, or the like, who constitutes an important evil agency in the plot".[1]
Yup, that about describes it. And I'm so glad I was able to use one of my favorite words, thusly, so early in the new year. (Note to Dad: Leave me alone on this word!)
6 comments:
If I were one of your children, I would make the "12 Days of Christmas" argument. To be liturgically correct, Christmas decorations should be taken down on the 5th or 6th of January. Alas, there is such a dearth of liturgical correctness these days! ;)
Thusly.
Since I took them down on the 3rd, we have been celebrating the "10 Days of Christmas". Perhaps you might pen a small hymn just for our family, to mark the occasion. In your spare time, of course.
I tried to be all liturgical and stuff for a few years way back when, but not growing up in that tradition, I was itchin' to take those decorations down, and could barely make it to the 6th. Have no trouble indulging in King cake, though...(obviously, I'm never very serious in my efforts to honor tradition, but take seriously any excuse to indulge in sweets)
Hi Jen,
This is rough, so bear with me:
"On the 10th day of Christmas, my mother gave to me ... no decorations - and a partridge in a pear tree."
It needs some fine-tuning of course, but I think it gets the basic message across.
The "10 Days of Christmas" celebration will now always conclude with a sampling of fudge, cake, nuts and cheese. The "10 Days of Christmas" celebration will thusly be followed by the "Four Months of Serious Dedication to Exercise".
Thanks, Jon. However, I share our mother's fear of birds in the house, so my children will not be receiving a partridge for Christmas. Pears, though, are always welcome.
Post a Comment