Tuesday, November 25, 2008

It is always sad to lose a loved one through illness or an accident, but it seems particularly hard to lose someone to suicide. You wonder if there was anything more one could have done to prevent it, why what *was* done wasn't enough.

When I was growing up, I was taught that suicide was "going to heaven uninvited". I have always struggled with the lack of grace and mercy behind that thought. While there are no doubt situations where people take their life to spite another or for some other evil motive, I believe that most people who end their life are deeply troubled. God knows how we are made and knows all our weaknesses and struggles. He understands the imbalances in our bodies and in our minds- and I believe that those who are so mentally ill that they do the unthinkable- they will be welcomed, find forgiveness and wholeness in heaven if they knew the Lord.

Rest in peace, dear cousin Ronny. Your family loves you and will miss you greatly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Jennifer,
Your posting was very thoughtful and appreciate more than you can realize. I printed it and will share it with family when we leave for Grand Rapids on Thursday. Your comments will mean a great deal to Julie & Robert.
Ronny is experiencing the glorious riches God has promised for all believers and He is now free from his terrors and is home at last.
Thank you so much! Love, Kathy