Basic Buttermilk Cake
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar (I used 1 1/4 cups)
3 large eggs
2 cups all purpose flour (I used spelt)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Arrange the rack at the middle of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees. Butter and flour the cake pans and line the bottoms with parchment paper.
Beat the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Scrape the bowl and beaters and beat well to incorporate.
Sift the flour with the baking powder and baking soda. Add a quarter of the flour mixture to the butter-egg mixture, then add vanilla and a third of the buttermilk. Repeat beginning and ending with the flour mixture and scraping well after each addition.
Pour the batter into the prepared pans and spread to the edges with a spatula. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 5 minutes. Cool completely before frosting.
Chocolate Icing
One and a half or two packages (18-24 oz total) semisweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups heavy cream (I used 2 cups heavy whipping cream)
1 tablespoon butter, at room temperature
A pinch of salt
Place chips in a medium bowl. Bring cream just to a boil in a saucepan over medium heat. Pour over chips and add butter and salt. Whisk until chips are melted and frosting is smooth and spreadable. ( I found that you have to wait over an hour for this icing to cool enough to thicken and spread. I think next time I'll stick it in the fridge and then when it's cool, I'll try to beat it with the mixer like whipping cream and see if it gets fluffy.)
No comments:
Post a Comment