Saturday, March 17, 2007



The weather was spring-like yesterday so the kiddos played outside quite a bit after school.

This week I have been spring cleaning and decluttering. It is a monumental task to throw anything out in this family. For example, Brian replaced the chair pads (little felt pads) on the bottom of our kitchen chairs last year. Abby found the old ones in the trash and SAVED them. I had a nightgown that had so many holes in it that it wouldn't even stay on my shoulders, so I threw it away. I found it in the back of Jacob's closet several months later... As you can see, stuff comes in but it rarely goes out. Now when I declutter, I take out the trash before anyone's the wiser.

Hannah has been fighting a stomach bug this week. Some of the girls at Geometry class have been sick the past few months (but still come to class) and I think that's where she picked this up. So far she's the only one affected and she hasn't been too ill.

I'm finishing up my Easter dress today and will start on Hope's dress this weekend. Hannah is ready to cut hers out and then Abby will start on hers. Abby is furiously working on finishing her quilt so she will be done with it before working on her dress.

Brian had a successful presentation at work this week. He was anxious about it beforehand but it went better than he had expected. He is in charge of charting the direction of the computer systems at work (largest worker's compensation company in the state) and thankfully the vice president of his department was impressed.

We read an interesting chapter in our current group reading, "Daily life in the 1920's through 1930's" about the stock market crash and the subsequent bank closings at the start of the Great Depression. We also are reading the book Dad sent, "Penrod and Sam", but sometimes it's difficult to read since I am editing it as I go along. It has a lot of subtle racism in it, probably common for the time period in which it was written.

Happy Birthday to Brian's mother! Her birthday is today, March 17th. His parents are currently busy with their new puppy and with travel and company.

Well, that's our week! Happy St. Patrick's Day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, that is so funny about the felt pads on the bottom of the chairs. I can RELATE! :) My children do this too. Right down to an old paint chip peeled off of something. "Mom, can I save this?" :) (Why on earth do they want these things???) :) I do what you do...take the trash out quickly!

Loved the photos, too - of the "urchins." Sweet! I love to see brothers and sisters of different ages having fun together!