Friday, February 16, 2007



The girls take a Geometry class with four other homeschooled girls. The lady who teaches it has graduated her only son from school (he is twenty) and has always taught supplementary classes to homeschoolers. This Geometry is very hands on and uses "patty papers"- the papers that go between frozen hamburger patties to keep them from sticking- to help students understand the concepts. The girls are at the midpoint of the lessons and already they have learned so much.

When I began homeschooling, the only fear I had was of Geometry. Of course I didn't have to worry about it while teaching grade school but that fear was in the back of my head that SOMEDAY I would need to find out a way to teach the kiddos this subject. In high school my Geometry teacher was so bad he had a reputation of being the worst teacher in the school, but couldn't be fired because of tenure. So even though I worked with a tutor, I never could learn it. But God, in His great mercy, provided this dear lady with great math knowledge at just the right time. Now Hannah says that she loves Geometry and she is doing well. Abby struggles, but she is also the youngest in the class and might take it again later. Even with her challenges, she knows far more than her Dad or I on this subject!

It was very windy when we left for class this morning, but the wind picked up while we were away and blew even more snow on the driveway. Coming back home, the car got stuck in the snow and we had to walk to the door. We noticed our trash cans blowing across our fields...Maybe we'll find them again, maybe not. Abby and Hope were blown over by the wind on the way to the house and fell in the snow. We had a nice lunch of hot potato soup and now we'll finish our movies from the library. We watched one on the Orphan Trains of the early 1900's and the San Francisco Earthquake and Fire yesterday. Today we will watch one on the Gold Rush.

Stay warm and out of the wind!

No comments: