Wednesday, February 7, 2007

In the Classroom

Sadly, we finished the last chapters in "Little Women" today. No matter how good, kind and humble Mr. Bhaer is, Abby will never forgive Louisa May Alcott for having Jo marry him instead of Laurie. Ah well.

We are deciding on our next book for group reading now. Hannah wants "Emma" by Jane Austen but I'm wondering if it is too "girly" for Jacob, after reading "Little Women". Jacob is requesting "The Incredible Journey", but I'm not very interested in that one. He is going to be reading it independently though. If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to let me know. It's hard when most people in the family read a lot- you run out of good books after awhile!

I remember getting so frustrated as a child because I had read all the books in the house and was desperate for more. What a joy when my mother finally started taking me to the library when I was a teen-ager! I remember reading a lot that one summer when she took me regularly. Now we not only go to the library but we buy lots of books as well.

Hope is almost through her reading program and will be on to easy reader books soon. I hope that she will be a passionate reader (she is showing signs of it). Now what we need is a fireplace to sit and read by (sigh).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sending you a used book purchased on ebay that I think the Price family ought to read together. It's one I loved in the 8th grade when our teacher read it to us as a class, a chapter at a time. It's called Penrod and Sam. (It's a "period" story and is even good for boys!) Hope you'll enjoy it. (It's coming via mail addressed to Hannah.) Love, Papa

Jennifer said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! We will be sure to read it together and think of you when you were but a lad. I just ordered "Across Five Aprils" and "Treasure Island" today. I'm also looking at "Ben Hur" and "Christy" as possibilities for our next book. A book called "Borden of Yale" by Mrs. Howard Taylor is supposed to be a Christian classic. Have you read it?